Patient Assessment and Liaison Mental Health Service (PALMS)
Are you worried about your mental health? Feeling overwhelmed or low and needing to talk to someone about seeking relevant support?
You can self refer to PALMS for consultation.
Who is this service for?
- Anyone aged between 16-64 years who is experiencing mental health difficulties.
- You need to be out of school education if you are between 16-18 years of age.
- You are not currently seen by a mental health professional (e.g. psychologist, mental health nurse, CPN or psychiatrist).
You might be struggling with low mood, anxiety, self-esteem, distressing life events or other difficulties that you would like help with.
How can I make an appointment?
- Speak to our Reception Staff who can help you decide if PALMS is the right service for you.
- Our Reception Staff will ask you a number of questions to determine if seeing a mental health specialist is right for you.
- You do not need to see your GP to make an appointment.
The mental health specialist will aim to see you as soon as possible following your request to make an appointment.
What happens during the appointment?
- You will meet the mental health specialist in one of our consulting rooms
- Your appointment will last up to 30 minutes
- You will be asked questions in relation to your difficulties.
What will be the outcome of the appointment?
The mental health specialist can assess your difficulties and needs, and give advice around mental health coping strategies.
- They can refer for further treatment to specialist services.
- The can refer to support services.
- They can provide you with self-help resources.
To find out if PALMS is the right service for you please speak to our Reception Staff.
Need to talk to someone prior to your appointment? You can contact these services for additional support:
Samaritans – or Telephone free on :116 123. Open 24/7.
Breathing Space – or Telephone: 0800 838 587.
Open Monday – Thursday between 18:00 – 02:00 hours and Friday 18:00 until Monday 06:00.
Mental Health Crisis
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact your GP to secure an emergency appointment. If you require help Out-of-Hours, please call NHS24 on 111.